Skip to primary navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Things to Do in Fort Worth

Back to Blog

Why Fort Worth’s Livestock Exchange Was Called the Wall Street of the West

Editorial illustration of the Fort Worth Livestock Exchange Building with cattle traders, longhorn silhouettes and early twentieth-century Stockyards details

The Fort Worth Livestock Exchange Building earned the nickname “Wall Street of the West” because it served as the business nerve center of one of the country’s most important livestock markets. Cattle changed hands, commission companies negotiated deals, telegraph messages arrived and railroad offices kept animals moving. The currency had hooves, but the pace was pure finance.

The building still stands on East Exchange Avenue in the Stockyards, close to the saloons and brick streets explored by Fort Worth Crawling. Before we claim a barstool, though, this handsome Mission Revival landmark deserves its own story.

Fort Worth First Had to Become Cowtown

Between 1866 and 1890, drovers moved more than four million cattle through Fort Worth on the way north, according to the official Stockyards history. The railroad’s arrival in 1876 turned the city into a major livestock shipping point, and the Union Stockyards opened north of downtown in 1887.

The early yards struggled to attract enough business. Boston investor Greenlief W. Simpson visited in 1893 and happened to find the pens unusually full after heavy rain and a railroad strike. He saw a bustling market and bought the operation for $133,333.33. Fort Worth’s livestock empire received a major boost from bad weather, labor trouble and excellent timing. History enjoys a strange recipe.

A Coin Toss Helped Arrange the Packinghouses

Simpson and fellow investor Louville V. Niles eventually persuaded Armour and Swift, two major meatpacking companies, to build plants beside the Stockyards. The companies used a coin toss to choose their sites. Armour won and selected the northern tract. Swift took the southern site and discovered a gravel pit useful for construction, then sold some gravel to Armour.

That detail feels wonderfully Texan: two industrial giants, millions of dollars in future business and one coin making an architectural decision. The packinghouses opened in the early 1900s and drove enormous growth around the yards.

The Exchange Put the Whole Operation in One Place

The current Fort Worth Livestock Exchange Building was constructed in 1902 and 1903. It replaced an earlier exchange and aligned the market’s essential pieces along East Exchange Avenue: the trading offices, animal pens and packing plants.

The two-story building housed the Stock Yards Company, livestock commission companies, telegraph offices, railroad offices and supporting businesses. Ranchers and buyers could manage complicated deals from one central address. Its U-shaped plan, stucco exterior, tiled roof, cupolas and Mission-style parapets gave serious cattle commerce a memorable headquarters.

The building’s architect remains unknown. Contractor William Bryce’s firm is thought to have constructed it. We know who traded cattle there, who built many other Fort Worth landmarks and how the roofline looked. The person who drew the plans apparently preferred a little mystery.

Business Grew to a Staggering Scale

The Exchange Building arrived as the Stockyards entered its boom years. The Handbook of Texas history of the Fort Worth Stockyards reports that the market ranked fifth in the nation by 1905. Fort Worth became the nation’s largest horse and mule market during the early years of World War I, when foreign military agents came to purchase cavalry animals.

The market reached its peak in 1944 with more than 5.25 million animals received. Forty-eight commission companies operated at the yards during the 1940s, alongside traders and speculators. Imagine the phones, paperwork, boots, voices and very firm opinions about livestock moving through the Exchange Building on a busy morning.

The Market Changed, but the Building Stayed

Livestock trading declined as trucking, regional auctions and feedlots reshaped the industry. Armour closed its Fort Worth plant in 1962, Swift followed in 1971 and the Stockyards held its final livestock auction in 1992.

Preservation gave the district another chapter. The Exchange Building was renovated in the late 1970s, and the Stockyards Historic District had joined the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Today, the Stockyards Museum occupies part of the first floor, where visitors can see artifacts and photographs connected to the livestock industry and North Fort Worth. Check current operating days before visiting because the museum keeps a limited weekly schedule.

Follow the Story from the Exchange to the Saloons

The Exchange Building explains why the Stockyards became more than a collection of cattle pens. It was an organized business district filled with brokers, railroad workers, meatpackers, laborers, visitors and the places that served them after the day’s deals were done.

That same human side of Stockyards history powers the Cowboy Pub Crawl. Fort Worth Crawling’s adults-only history tour pub crawl runs daily at 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. and lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes. An expert local guide shares hidden and hilarious stories while the group visits Stockyards bars and saloons. Drinks are available for purchase at each stop.

Look at the Livestock Exchange Building before the crawl and picture its offices humming with deals. Then raise a glass nearby to the traders, workers and occasional lucky coin toss that made the Wall Street of the West a very Fort Worth kind of financial district. Book the Cowboy Pub Crawl and let the brick streets continue the story.